Religions And Belief Systems
Religions vs. Belief Systems
Religion is a collected belief system usually full of rites and rituals in support of the system and it's core beliefs. It makes people feel they are a part of something and can be a great tool for many in life. Beliefs have no limits. They can be individual beliefs or be of common beliefs.
1. Arabian Peninsula
2. The Quran
3. Five Pillars
1. Declaration Of Faith
2. Obligatory Prayer
3. Compulsory Giving
4. Fasting in the month of Ramadan
5. Pilgrimage to Mecca
1. Formed In India
3. Caste System
1. Highest in the social order, most likely to achieve Brahman
1. Lowest in the social order, considered non-Aryan
4. Brahman – Ultimate Goal
1. Formed By Confucius
2. Five Relationships
1. Friend and friend
1. Equal in status
2. Ruler & Subject
1. Ruler is superior
3. Father and Son
1. The Son must respect his father
4. Elder Brother & Younger Brother
1. The Elder brother is a role model to the younger one.
5. Husband and Wife
1. Husband is superior
2. Husband is a role model
1. Yin Yang Symbol represents balance of nature
1. “Pain is caused by desire”
2. Four Noble truths
1. Life has inevitable suffering
2. There is a cause to our suffering
3. There is an end to our suffering
4. The end to suffering is contained in the 8fold path
3. 8fold path
1. Right View
2. Right Intention
3. Right Speech
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood
6. Right Effort
7. Right Concentration
8. Right Mindfulness
1. A classical civilization is a civilization that has made long lasting contributions to society and expanded their empires.
2. Greece is the best example
1. Many Classical civilizations have experienced a golden age
2. An idyllic, often imaginary past time of peace, prosperity, and happiness.
3. Collection of small islands
1. Led to the development of separate Greek city states.
1. The 1st democracy was established in Athens
2. Direct vs Representative Democracy:
1. Direct means that the people vote
2. Representative mean the people vote to elect a representative to vote for them.
3. Sparta VS Athens
1. Not a Democracy
2. Men and Women are more equal
3. War based
1. Only one piece of clothing given per year to children
2. No shoes
3. Designed to prepare citizens for war.
2. Women and Men are not equal
3. Women are expected to stay home & be housewives.